Fall 2020 Waconia Athletics & Activities Update
The Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) Board of Directors approved moving forward as scheduled on August 17th with four Fall sports (Boys and Girls Cross Country, Boys and Girls Soccer, Girls Swimming and Diving and Girls Tennis) with limitations. The MSHSL Board of Directors also approved moving Football and Volleyball to a modified spring season (dates TBD with limited overlap of traditional Spring Sports).
MSHSL Fall athletics that were approved for play will have reductions to the total number of games and the length of season. The directive demonstrates a 30% reduction in the total number of events and a 20% reduction in the number of weeks to the regular & postseason. Competitions and travel will also be limited to conference/section and “local” schedules only and participation in scrimmages, tournaments and invitationals is prohibited. Culminating Section and State events are still TBD, with more information to come. Other general modifications included: safety recommendations for practice and play, guidelines for crowd limitations and transportation. The MSHSL is asking all schools to follow the Covid-19 Sports guidelines for Youth Sports created by MDH (included at the end of this message.)
Online Athletics Registration:
Our Waconia Wildcat fall registration system opened for the following sports only beginning Thursday morning, August 6th at https://1913a.cf.wordwareinc.com/
** If you have any trouble creating your account, connecting to your student(s) and/or completing the registration process, please contact our athletic department at 952-442-0683 or Lori Schwirtz at email@example.com
Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country – 9th-12th grade only
- All returning Cross Country Senior student athletes and 11th-9th grade students are eligible to register. Program roster will be limited to 30 male and 30 female participants total. Rosters will be determined based on a try-out process.
- First Day of Practice: Tuesday, August 18th at Bayview Track
- Head Coach – Christian Gilbert – firstname.lastname@example.org
Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer – 9th-12th grade only
- Student athletes in 9th-12th grade are eligible to register. The Varsity, JV and C squad rosters will be determined based on a try-out process.
- First Day of Practice: Monday, August 17th at WHS
- Boys’ Head Coach – Tyrel Seim – email@example.com
- Girls’ Head Coach – Ivan Woyno – firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls’ Swim and Dive – 8th-12th grade only
- Student athletes in 8th-12th grade are eligible to register. The Varsity and JV rosters will be determined based on a try-out process.
- First Day of Practice: Monday, August 17th – at WHS Pool
- Head Coach – Ashley Westphal – email@example.com
Girls’ Tennis – 9th-12th grade only
- Student athletes in 9th-12th grade are eligible to register. The Varsity and JV rosters will be determined based on a try-out process.
- First Day of Practice: Monday, August 17th – at WHS Tennis Courts
- Head Coach – Jeff Bessire – firstname.lastname@example.org
** Please note that while districts are operating in an in-person or hybrid learning model, students who opt into a full time distance learning model will maintain their eligibility to participate in Waconia Wildcat athletics and activities programs.
Sports Qualifying Physicals:
Student-athletes participating in a school-sponsored athletic program must have an updated sports qualifying physical every three years. Due to the demand on clinics during the COVID19 pandemic, the MSHSL Board of Directors approved an extension of the expiration date, thus all current physicals on file with the Waconia athletics department will extend for one additional year, essentially a four-year clearance for the 2020-2021 school year. In addition:
* Each student must still complete the annual health history questionnaire (this will be completed in the online registration system).
* Any student who had not previously participated and therefore does not have a physician approved sports qualifying physical on file, will be required to complete and submit this documentation prior to clearance for participation.
* Updated sports physicals can be scanned and emailed to Lori Schwirtz at email@example.com
* If you have questions on the date status of your current sports physical on file with Waconia athletics, please reach out to Lori Schwirtz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Status of Middle School Sports, Activities, Clubs & other non-MSHSL organizations:
Waconia Middle School team sports of Volleyball and Football scheduled for the 2020 Fall season have been cancelled. Additionally, 7th and 8th grade students’ participation in cross country running and 7th grade Girls’ Swimming has also been cancelled due to limits on roster size. Other opportunities that can be offered for WMS students’ are under consideration.
A decision about Fine Arts, Activities, Student Clubs & other non-MSHSL organizations will be made soon by District 110 administrators and communicated with our school community.
Crowd Size Limitations
As of today, the total number of spectators allowed at an outdoor event will not exceed the recommendations of the Minnesota Department of Health. (25% capacity up to 250 people, inclusive of event participants/staff). Spectators will not be allowed indoors (Girls Swim & Dive).
Waconia High School plans to provide team transportation to away events. We will follow MDH guidelines in terms of how many athletes will be allowed on a bus at a time. (50% capacity during hybrid learning, 100% capacity during full in-person learning). Masks will be required when traveling to events on a district school bus.
Member of Team Tests Positive for Covid-19
If a case of COVID-19 is reported we will contact the Minnesota Department of Health. MDH will interview the case or parent/guardian, determine the dates when the case was infectious, identify anyone that may have been exposed, and collect contact information for those individuals. People identified as exposed (close contacts) are those who spent at least 15 minutes within 6 feet of the case while the case was infectious. Exposed persons (close contacts) will also need to quarantine for 14 days from the last contact with the COVID-19 case. Coaches will keep accurate rosters including who was at practices and games each day so we can do contact tracing quickly and provide necessary communication that could include individual, pod, and/or program quarantine.
Our department will be working collaboratively with coaches, directors and district administration over the next couple weeks to make necessary game schedule adjustments, along with creating plans and protocols that safely support our student learners and coaching staff through their engagement in fall athletics and activities participation. We appreciate and thank you for your support, patience and flexibility during these unique times.