As COVID-19 cases in the region and throughout the state continue to rise, the following changes to Waconia Public Schools’ athletics and activities will be implemented for the health and safety of our students, coaches, directors and advisors.
Until further notice:
- All middle school athletics, intramurals and activities are suspended.
- All in person high school fine arts activities including show choir and jazz band along with all school sponsored clubs (robotics, knowledge bowl, conservation club, etc.) are suspended.
- The start of all MSHSL in person winter athletics and activities has been delayed until at least January 4th, 2021.
A return to winter athletics and activities will be based on data provided by the Minnesota Department of Health and Carver counties’ public health departments, local medical organizations and/or other state agencies. In addition, we’ll work closely with the other conference schools to determine a safe return to play timeframe.
Students currently registered for WHS winter athletics and activities will have their registration paperwork and fees held until the “paused” seasons are resumed.
We understand the importance of co-curricular activities for many of our students and families, and this was another difficult decision to make. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we navigate the challenges COVID-19 presents.
Please continue to take steps to help keep our students, neighbors and communities safe.
- Stay home when sick.
- Wear face coverings/masks.
- Stay six feet apart and avoid large crowds.
- Encourage frequent hand washing and covering coughs.
- Avoid large crowds and gatherings.
Following these steps can make a large impact on being able to get youth back in school buildings and participating in athletics and activities.